Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Helping hands

So last night began the initiative our guild leader calls "Guild Improvement Week". The basic idea being that the better geared people help the lesser geared people get better gear and work with them to improve their play.

Fantastic idea in theory, not so much in practice.

Now maybe last night was an abberation, but there were 2 total people asking for help. Most of the people we have identified in the guild as needing help were not online.

One of the people asking for help was Robella, a gnome Rogue. He wanted help finishing up a questline in Shadowmoon Valley called the Cipher of Damnation. This is a quest line that Honors has not finished yet. When I was leveling and just after I hit 70, I concentrated on quests and quest lines that led to the better tanking rewards I would need for Kara. This line was not one of them, and I haven't made the time to go back and finish yet.

We got a group together and flew out to Shadowmoon to start the event. As we engage the boss, our Elemental Shaman (Wichita) healer gets jumped by a Blood Elf Rogue from . Cynosure is the most advanced Horde guild on our server. Peachy.

So we call in for backup, and most of MewMewPewPewAndABubble shows up. They watch our backs and will kill the boss and get Robella a nice new offhand.

Next up wanting help was Schmedlap the hunter. He needed to run Steamvaults for rep, so I volenteered to go as a Tank or a Healer, whichever he needed. We grabbed Calexis, a fantastic priest. Unfortunately, there were two guild 5v5 teams trying to get their points, so we couldn't do the run. Maybe tonight, we'll get it done.

I have no problem helping someone out. I don't even mind running an instance where I've gotten everything I could possibly want out of it, and I like to think of myself as a helpful guy.

However, I think the idea that we need to pick people, armory them, and figure out what specific upgrades they need to go get is asking a bit too much. I want to help people not handhold them. At some point, the motavation needs to come from the player. The player has to say to the themselves that they want to improve, and figure out how to improve their character.

I don't want to drag a bunch of people into an endgame they really have shown no desire to see.

When the idea of set teams for Kara was floated, it was quickly shot down. While the idea of set teams for Battlegrounds has been pushed.

We do up to 3 nights of PVP a week (Arena + 2 battlegrounds). We do 2 nights of Kara at best. Most people will only see Kara 1 night a week due to scheduling. The idea of making a more flexible schedule for Kara has also been shot down.

This isn't my guild, and those decisions are well within the leaderships right to make.

Maybe people think 2 months to get 4 bosses down in Kara is a fine progression. Maybe I'm not representive of how most of the guild feels.

I hope that's not the case. I hope other people are also wanting to continue to progress through the endgame as well. I hope I'm not pushing people, railroading them into something they don't want to do.

I want to join with a group of likeminded individuals, who want to join together and combine our skills to experience the full range of content the game has to offer. We haven't seen half of Kara, nor any of the cool stuff beyond it. I'm not looking to compete for server firsts or any of that nonsense. Leave that to people like Different Strokes and Bloodsky. I'm not looking to run Kara 5 nights a week.

I don't want to leave Heroes; I've made a lot of friends within the guild. There aren't a whole lot of options for me even if I decided to leave. There aren't a whole lot of guilds who accept Protection spec Paladins.

I just know that I'm getting frustrated by the situation, and I'm not sure what to do about it.
Post a Comment