Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A Plan Of Action

I've run just about everything I can at my computer. I've tried several free or time limited Virus Scanners, Trojan Removers, Ad scanners, Spyware Scanners. They all found nothing that would point to a culprit.

I've even put a HiJackThis log on BleepingComputer.com.

They take at least a week for their volunteers to get back to you.

I can't wait that long.

So what to do?

I'm going to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows and Warcraft. I've backed up everything I could think of (documents, pictures, music, etc).

Since I was running McAfee at the time I was hacked, I lost a bit of confidence in them. I realize it might not have been their fault, but I run their software to protect me from stuff like this, and I wasn't protected. I'm not sure if I'll go with something like a Norton or go a la carte and get a combination of AVG or Avast, ZoneAlarm, and Adware/Spybot. I don't mind spending some real money to get real protection.

I'm going to get Firefox with the No Script addon. I'm debating making a partition for Ubuntu and using Ubuntu when I'm doing web stuff and Windows for Gaming. That might mean I would have to dual boot the machine, which is not something I really want to do. I still need the computer to be usable by my non techy wife and daughter.

I STILL don't know how I got hacked. Was it a Mod, or a Website, or something else.

Speaking of Mods, I'm going to have to be really careful where I get my mods. I've heard both Curse and WoW Ace are not safe. I'm going to try to go with as few mods as possible. Omen, Deadly Boss Mods, Enemy CastBar, Xperl, Grid, OneBag/OneBank, ItemRack, and some sort of Damage Meter. I would love to get Auctioneer too.

I'm not sure what else I can do to keep myself safe. I don't have the cash to run out and buy a Mac, plus our vent doesn't work well with Macs anyway.

I just know I never want to go through this again.

Post a Comment