Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Achievement Game

My Raid Team has cleared all the 'normal' content, and can do it quite easily. So now we set our sites on Hard Modes and Achievements.

We have our sites set on 3 Achievements at the moment: You Don't Have An Eternity (6 minute Malygos kill), Twilight Zone (Sartharian with 3 Drakes), and Undying (no deaths on any boss fight in Naxx).

We decided to start with Malygos.

I was tanking Malygos and not moving him at all to allow for maximum DPS. Our resident Death Knight would Death Grip the Sparks into position. This was the first time since I dinged 80 that I've felt pressure on threat. Our DPS was really cranking. When we got to Phase 2, I would tank the guys on the ground while Ranged DPS took out the guys in the air, and then they burnt down the ground Adds.

We were actually looking good going into Phase 3. We tried having just one Dragon heal the raid, but it was just too much and dragons started dropping from the sky. We jumped off the mounts and reset it.

We made 2 more attempts, and finally just said that no matter what we'd go for the kill. Our best time was 6 minutes and 50 seconds, meaning we need to shave about a minute off our time to get the Achievement.

Next up, we were going for our first attempts at 3 Drake Sartharian. We had a Feral Druid on Sarth, a Death Knight on Drakes, and myself taking the Whelps and Elementals. I kept hearing the voice of the raid leader from that Onyxia video "Many Whelps, right side!"

I can't remember where I read it, but some had posted that when Sartharian calls Tenebron and yells "Tenebron! The Eggs are yours to protect as well!" what he should really say is "Tenebron, get your fat dragon butt over here and help me!"

Whelp tanking is probably the hardest thing I've tried to since I was a Flame Tank on Illidan. Basically, you have to pickup about 6 to 8 Whelps while dodging Fire Walls and Void Zones or whatever those blue circles of death are called. You don't know exactly when or where they are going to spawn and if you miss them, they will gib a healer before they are even fully rendered on your screen.

I know at least 1 or 2 of our wipes was due to Whelps. We also had our Death Knight die to a double breath from the Drakes, and we had multiple people die when one of the Drakes decided to breath all over the raid. There is definitely an element of randomness to the fight.

I feel like we made progress even if we didn't defeat it. The best part of the night to me was that despite the wipes and struggles, the general feeling of vent was light, and we were even able to crack some jokes and have some laughs.

We are really trying to push these 3 Achievements as they seem to be the hardest ones between us and Glory of the Raider. I know our team is pushing because the mounts will be removed once 3.1 goes live. Even if we don't get the mounts, it would be good to still down Sarth3D.

Hard Modes and Achievements are really a stroke of genius by Blizzard, and it is just amazing to me to watch a fight scale from faceroll easy to feeling just as impossible as that first pull of Maulgar.

If any of my readers have done Whelp tanking on Sarth 3D, I'd love to hear any tips or suggestions you might have. You can either leave them in the comments or email them to the link on the right had side of the page.
Post a Comment