Saturday, March 28, 2009

What Do I Want To Be

To me, the question was always between Mining and Blacksmithing as for my new profession once I drop Engineering.

But last night, one of my guild mates suggested I also evaluate becoming an Enchanter.

I need to evaluate what it is I want from my Profession slots. Basically, I'm after two things. A) Raid utility competitive (not necessarily better, but within a few percents) of any other profession and B) a way to make some gold for my character.

Jewelcrafting does both in spades, and it is a very popular profession.

Engineering fails on both accounts A and B, and that is a large part of the reason I'm looking at dropping it.

What follows is my brief analysis of each profession, with help from the Elitist Jerks profession analysis thread.

Mining
Raid Utility: 50 stamina
Gold making: Excellent

Blacksmithing
Raid Utility: 2 extra sockets, flexibility
Gold Making: Poor

Enchanting
Raid Utility: Ring Enchants (24 stam x 2 = 48 stam, AP enchants for Ret)
Gold Making: Good

While I have a high level Miner, as I found out in Lich King, I don't have the kind of time to level up both the miner and my Main to supply him with mats. Even with a Level 70 Miner, I ended up needing to buy most of the mats to level up Jewelcrafting and Engineering on Honorshammer. That's part of the reason I was considering mining on Honorshammer. It uncouples those two characters. Each stands more on his own.

I also like the idea of being Gather/Production instead of Production/Production. It's been a little rough have two gold sink professions like JC/Engy. I'm hesitant to get back into that situation with JC/BS.

I'm intrigued by the Enchanting option. I could AoE my way through low level instances and get greens to DE for mats to level up the profession for very little cost. It's similar to selling the ore and stone I would make leveling up Mining. I could also DE quest rewards I didn't need and be a DE any dungeon drop. Lastly, I'd have a healthy supply of mats for Enchating my gear. Basically I would be self sufficient for augmenting nearly any future drop I get.

I must think on this.
Post a Comment