Wednesday, July 29, 2009

R.I.P. PVE Ret Paladins

Today, Honor's Code looks at the most recent change on the PTR to Retribution Paladins.

Sorry for the drama of the title, but it got you to click to read the post didn't it? So yesterday, talking about the SoV/C change for Retribution I said "But I don’t think it’s going Live as is."

Well I was wrong. There is a long thread on the WoW General Forums in which GC is having a pretty nice discussion with the players on this issue. I don't agree with everything he says, but I am very impressed with the level of feedback he is providing. That shouldn't be taken for granted and he needs to be thanked for it.

Now he posted several times in what is becoming by now a very long thread. I'd like to highlight one of his responses on Page 11. He was replying to some of the comparisions of other classes with ramp up times to do DPS, like Ferals and Rogues.

Now, stepping back, I think it's easy to take examples like this and argue which are apples and which are oranges. The point I was trying to make was that we don't consider long ramp up time to be a bad thing. The game could probably benefit from more of it. Yes your dps will be lower when you can't just keep banging on the same boss for 3 minutes. I'm not sure that's a huge design flaw, provided your dps makes up for it in other ways. Other characters do much better on fights where they can generate a lot of AE damage (say Unholy and perhaps Fury). As long as Ret's overall damage doesn't fall so low as to be a liability, we don't think it will be an issue. I understand some of you feel differently. A Fire mage going into a dungeon where several mobs were immune to fire would have a problem. I'm not sure "Don't bring a Ret to this dungeon because it doesn't have a lot of long ramping fights" is going to be a mantra. We'll see.

The bolded parts were added by me for emphasis.

They don't consider the long ramp up to be a bad thing. The next sentance, he acklowedges DPS is going to be lower on any fight on any fight where you can't stay on the boss for 3 minutes. As I showed yesterday, this is 10 of the 14 fights in Ulduar, plus Emalon in Vault of Archavon. So on about 2/3s of all current fights, he acknowledges our DPS will be lower.

I can't imagine what these mysterious 'other ways' our DPS is supposed to make up for the fact we are lower most of the time.

It's the last sentance that really tells you this is going Live. 'We'll see.'

EDIT on 7/31: Wow, I can't believe this. I was wrong, which means my original post, which I said was wrong in this post was actually right. Bottom line is I was right, even when I was wrong. lol.

Okay, enough at my poor attempts at humor.

They changed SoV AGAIN. Zebra's got the low down, so without further ado, Mr. Zebra, you have the mic, sir.

"A new build on the PTR has slightly improved the damage output of SoV during the ramping-up stage. In previous builds, the SoV Proc only occurred when 5 copies of Holy Vengeance were up on the target. Now, Seal Proc damage scales with the number of copies of the debuff on the target:"
Post a Comment