Destination Unknown

Over the past couple of days and weeks, I've been thinking alot about my little Dwarf Paladin. Basically trying to decide if I want to continue running him as my main.

Many Protection Paladins hit a point in the end game and give up. The most recent victim is Talthis of Kil'jaden. This was his swan song on MainTankadin:

"We all go through it. One day you just ask yourself; why? why am I putting up with all this crap? All it would take is a simple click of a button to become the "designated" tanking class.
I have reached that day, and I may be putting my paladin on hibernate for a long time... When your raids don't go right and you cement the concept of paladins being nothing but healers into the minds of many? Where do you find the strength to carry on?
We all know it will be a tough path when we choose to walk this road, but sometimes it just hits home."

Even Lore, whose guild is furthest along of any of the regulars on Maintankadin, has been sounding more and more discouraged as of late.

The question I keep asking myself is, is that me in 2 months? I can't answer that.

So let's stop for a minute. What if I never read Maintankadin, or the WoW General Forums or anything of the like. What if I based it simply on my experiences in the game.

Do I enjoy Honorshammer? Is he fun to play?

Well, soloing can be a bit slow at times if I only fight one mob at a time, but generally speaking I do have fun with him.

In PVE, I can stand toe to toe with any foe I face. In PVP, I am feared on the battlefield. Not so much for my ability to destroy the enemy, but more so because with my presence I can turn the tide of battle.

Plus, he's so dynamic and varied. I do completely different things, wearing completely different gear in PVE and PVP.

I have the most wonderful and supportive guild in all of WoW. They encourage me, and stand with me. Paladin tanking has never been blamed for a wipe, and never once has it been said (at least in my hearing) 'We would have downed that boss with a Warrior Tank'. While I have not grouped that much with our Prot Warriors, they seem like nice guys (and gals, can't forget Jenet).

My comrades shall not die so long as I draw breath, whether that's healing them in PVP or taking the blows for them as a tank in PVE. I really find that role enjoyable. It is to me what a Paladin truly is, sacrificing himself for his friends. Duthorian Rull, the Paladin trainer, who gives you your class specific quests explains it this way:

"Although called upon to smite evil in these harsh times, you must always remember that it's aiding others that will truly set you apart from the citizens of Azeroth. Compassion, patience, bravery--these things mean as much to a paladin as strength in battle.Know this well, and never forget it."

I can't help it. I'm a Paladin.

So this is the path I choose, and I accept the fate that awaits me, whether that means I'm dancing on Gruul's corpse or posting my goodbye on the Heroes Forums.


Song: Destination Unknown
Artist: Marietta Lyrics

I see life and it's passin' right before my eyes
And the past is the past don't regret it, time to realize
I need to walk on the wire just to catch my breath,
I don't know how or where but I'm goin' it's all that I have left
It don't matter where it takes me
Long as I can keep this feeling runnin' through, my soul
Never took this road before -- destination unknown
Oh oh oh ohohoh -- destination unknown
Won't be coming back this way gotta go it alone
Oh oh oh ohohoh -- destination unknown
See a chance gotta take it wanna meet my fate
'Cause the last thing I ever wanted was to find out it's too late
No way out when you're in it deeper than the night
There's a light at the end of the tunnel and I see it burning bright
It don't matter where it takes me
Long as I can keep this feeling soarin' through, my soul
Never took this road before -- destination unknown
Oh oh oh ohohoh -- destination unknown
Won't be comin' back this way gotta go it alone
Oh oh oh ohohoh -- destination unknown

Comments

Bobby said…
If you're looking to be a perfectionist tank, you want to do it better then anyone, and sacrifice everything else for it...I don't think the prot paladin is that class. I think the prot paladin is #2 on that list.

A prot warrior will never be taken to DPS a raid

A prot warrior could be taken to heal a raid (especially given the shortage of healers in the game)

A prot warrior will perform very poorly in most PvP situations, and will never be offered a spot on an areana team

A prot paladin makes a fairly effective PvP healer, possibly even better then priests, or druids, due to their durability.

A prot warrior cannot solo for crap, his DPS is very minimal, and he has no ability to heal himself.

A prot warrior solo's reasonably well, not the best DPS by any means, but, better then a prot warrior, and you've still got the survivability, and can heal yourself to boot.



So I guess in summary..I see the prot warrior as the perfectionist tank, who sacrifices EVERYTHING to be considered the #1 tank in the game. I see the prot paladin as probably the #2 best tank, but a guy who can still do a variety of other things reasonably well.

I could see myself fitting in as a Prot paladin, much more then a prot warrior....the prot warrior is just too 1 dimmentional.
Bobby said…
god, I really messed that post up..I said warrior about 2-3x where I meant to say paladin...I'm sure it makes no sense at all..but it won't let me edit the stupid thing!
Honors Code said…
You won't be taking a Prot Paladin to heal a raid. They'd be OOM 2 minutes into a boss fight.

We fought a Prot Warrior in the Arena last night, so somebody is taking them.

Have you ever solo'ed as a Prot Paladin? We kill stuff pretty slow.

I don't see what soloing or PVP have to do with being able to be the best tank.

I put everything into tanking, I should be able to be the best tank.

Blizzard has stated that they don't want to see a strict heirarchy of tanks, or tanks measured to the third decimal. That says to me they want Prot Paladins to be every bit the tank a Prot Warrior is. Are we there, yet? Not yet, but we are close. My hope for the future is that we will be buffed to where what will truly matter for picking a tank is player skill, gear, talent selection, not class.

Popular posts from this blog

Cataclysm Profession Bonuses

Raid Comp Tool

Back To Basics: The 969 Paladin Threat Rotation