A Different Kind Of Raid

Life has a funny way of throwing you a curve ball when you least expect it or in my case want it. My "day job" is in IT, computer programming to be precise, but my department is also tasked with the hardware side of the business as well.

This is what I thought RAID was before I started WoW. This RAID stands for Redundant Array of Independent Drives. I'd be shocked to find a server on the planet that didn't use it.

Well last night as we were wrapping up our day, one of our RAID drives failed. This is usually not a big deal. You "hot swap" out the failed drive for a new one and it rebuilds the array and you go on your merry business. Oh, but not last night. Something really odd happened with the rebuild and the drive letters got all mixed up. We had running processes that were writing files to the wrong drives and it was a mess. So instead of raiding Gruul's Lair, I was spending my evening with an epic hard drive.

By the time we got everything sorted out, and I dragged my tired behind home, got some dinner, and tucked my little girl into bed, it was well past time I could log on and hope to get anything accomplished.

No WoW for me last night.

Comments

Raydz said…
Pally Tier 4 pants dropped x 2 last night =/

Actually im lying, i hung around till about 9-9:30 server time and no raid so im assuming nothing happened last night. So you didnt miss anything.

Popular posts from this blog

Cataclysm Profession Bonuses

Raid Comp Tool

Back To Basics: The 969 Paladin Threat Rotation