Preparing Your Tankadin for Patch 3.0: Part 8 Where Do We Stand

10/6 - Part 1: General Tanking
10/7 - Part 2: The New Seal and Judgement System
10/8 - Part 3: Changes to Existing Talents and Spells
10/9 - Part 4: New Talents, and suggested Trees
10/10 - Part 5: The New Threat Rotation or 96969
10/11 - Part 6: Threat Stats for Protection Paladins and Tank Gear Reitemization
10/12 - Part 7: Inscription and Glyphs
10/13 - Part 8: Comparing the 4 Tanks10/14 - PATCH DAY!

As I've gone through the Beta and watched the Tankadin develop, I've felt the full gambit of emotions. There have been highs and lows, moments when I felt like giving up and moments when I felt like we were better than ever before.

As the Paladin community communicated our concerns to Blizzard one of the posters came up with this imaginary scenario.

Your 25 man Raid Guild approaches RandomBoss Encounter X. In the Raid, you have a Druid, a Death Knight, a Paladin, and a Warrior. All have been with the guild a while and have established themselves as capable players. All of them have adequate gear.

"Which one of you should tank?" the Raid Leader asks.

The first to speak up is the Druid. "Well, not much misses my big bear butt, but hey, it don't hurt much when it connects. And dayum, my health pool is huge."

Then the Death Knight responds: "OK, so my health pool is small, but I have huge avoidance, and more tricks than you can poke a stick at. I'm really good at tanking casters too."

The Warrior steps into the discussion: "My health pool is in-between the Druid and the DKs - so's my avoidance. I have a pretty decent pile of tricks. I can do pretty much everything. I'm a great tank."

Then Mr. Paladin gives his two copper: "Well, my health pool and avoidance are basically the same as the warriors. I'm flat out a great tank when the boss doesn't do anything weird. If it's stand there and get punched in the face, I'm an easy tank to heal, taking the small, predictable damage each hit and low damage overall. I'm also really good at tanking a boss + sidekick or two."

The Raid Leader is a little befuddled. Each Tank seems like a good choice.

The Raid Leader finally responds, "So if someone were to ask why you should tank Boss X, The basic answer is 'Because I'm a tank and I'm good at at.' That's a little less technical but should get the job done. "

OK, time for actual numbers.

Melee:
Warrior: 10% + 3% = 12.7%
Paladin: 6%+3%+3%=11.5%
"naked" warrior: 10%

SpellDamage:
Warrior:12.7%+6%=17.9%
Paladin: 11.5%+6%=16.8%
"naked" warrior: 15.4%

Very, Very close!

Not bad, imho.

If there are 2 warriors, they can "cross-vigilance" for the 3% and some threat swapping (good for making trash go to the other tank if a tank dies)

If you have a warrior and a paladin, both get BoSanc for the 3%.

Without a pally or warrior you then rely on a disc priest, and I'm not sure how common they will be.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That is a great set of articles. We thank you for that.

But now that 3.0.2 patch notes are released and we know that Avenger's Shield is 0.5sec cast (not instant) wouldn't we need to adapt that information for the rotation suggested in Part 5?
Honors Code said…
Old patch notes are old.

We'll see when the live servers come up, but I'm willing to bet Avenger's Shield is an instant cast.

Popular posts from this blog

Cataclysm Profession Bonuses

Raid Comp Tool

Back To Basics: The 969 Paladin Threat Rotation